Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Memorial Day. The national holiday that celebrates our fallen soldiers from the Civil War and up to the present-day.
What has become of this commemoration of our dead heroes? It has become another day off, a day for family barbeque's, a day for fun and games, and a day that makes the last weekend in May a long weekend. Personally, for many years, Memorial Day weekend meant a long weekend trip to Maryland to celebrate my little cousin's birthday (May 28). I was part of the Memorial Day party people. Sure, I gave a thought - a passing thought - to the fallen soldiers, but I was mostly in the spirit of partying.

Now, as I've gotten older and have watched more of my elders pass on, I recognize the sadness, the sense of loss and most importantly - for me - the sense of overwhelming gratitude towards those who fought and died for what I have today: my freedom as an American citizen.

Yes, I am Filipino by birth. However, I am both Filipino and American on paper and inside. I embrace my Filipino heritage and my American freedom. Memorial Day has become one of those days that I sink back into my chair and actually appreciate what I have. From my elders to my peers, I usually spend Memorial Day quietly thanking and thinking about the military veterans and current soldiers whom I've had the pleasure of meeting, getting to know, becoming friends with, becoming family with. This year, I don't know if it's because of Papa Muynila's recent death, or my move to the West Coast, or knowing a few soldiers currently deployed, I'm in a patriotic sense of heart.

So, this Memorial Day weekend 2011, I want to thank a few people - not only those who fought and died for the US - but also those who are currently serving.

Though I'm a Civil War History lover, my personal thanks begins with World War II. With two different battle fronts and very different battle styles, I learned plenty about the War from my history classes. However, hearing the stories from someone who was involved, not only physically but emotionally and mentally invested, with the War.

Daddy Pepot
In my family, several men fought side by side with Americans in the Pacific front against the Japanese, and I believe I ought to honor them on this Day. Papa Muynila and Daddy Pepot marched the Death March of Bataan. I never got to hear the stories from Daddy. I was too young to truly appreciate (or even understand) his nightmares. Papa Muynila, on the other hand, I remember him vaguely recalling his experience. I was in my early teens, and as any young teenager, I was more interested in playing with my cousins. However, I do remember Papa tearing up when I mentioned my project for school regarding World War II. It was a bit surreal to see him choked up like that; he was always smiling and yelling at us kids to stop being so loud and to stop running around.

Lolo Eding
Then, there's my Lolo Eding. Captain of a commercial vessel in World War II, He lived on the Island of Corregidor long before the War, and he left Corregidor with his mom, leaving behind his two brothers, as the War went into full swing in the Pacific. In 2010, he told my younger cousin and I his memories of Corregidor; the beauty, the different lifestyle on the island, the trolley trains, the War. As he shared his memories, you could see his desire to return to Corregidor, but with old age comes the price of traveling. When I told him I had plans on going for a day trip, he simply smiled and said, "You'll like it. It's all for tourists now, but you'll like it." I wish I could've taken him with me. His health isn't in the best of shapes now, but I know he still dreams about stepping foot on Corregidor.

Emmy (L circle) & Goyang (bottom R)

Of course, I can't talk about my family and World War II without mentioning the hearty women who were enlisted as guerrillas! To this day, I can't get them to tell me their stories, and I'm aching to collect them! My sister Lola's (Paternal Grandmother and her sisters) - Emmy, Goyang, Naty.
Naty
 All I can honestly tell you about these three is that they all had a hand in guerrilla warfare in the mountains. Though Lola Naty was a Sister (a Nun, people!), she fought to stay alive and be free as much as the next person! Lola Goyang and my Lola (Emmy), I knew my Lola was bad ass, but apparently, I don't know half of her bad-ass-ness! With Lola Naty's death, I have lost her story. I hoped to hear something from Lola Goyang and/or my Lola on my last trip, but Lola Goyang's health put a pause on my "mission," and my Lola was too busy just enjoying the fact that I was home to tell "tall tales."

On the European front, with so many elders I've met and gotten the pleasure to know, George Weidhaas was truly a remarkable "adopted" grandfather. He introduced me to blueberry muffins & pancakes using real blueberries and banana nut muffins, how to make bird calls with your hands (I could never make a sound... always sounded like a duck farting.), and how to enjoy Andy Griffith. Grandpa George was a military guard during the Nuremberg Trials held in Germany. I had the honor of hearing his stories and looking through pictures he took. There was one picture in particular that I remember: a small black and white photo of a little blonde, curly haired girl in a thick knee length jacket. She was the daughter of the lady living across the street from where they (the military guard) were stationed at the time. The little girl was adorable, but what was eerie was how he said that every child in the city at the time were all blonde hair, blue or green eyes and that picture was his proof of Hitler's idealism. I miss George; happy that I had the pleasure of knowing him for a long time, but I do miss him.

I've just received a message simply saying that Memorial Day is for those who died in service. I pretty much should not include current military personnel as they get Veterans' Day, and I should stop saying "Happy Memorial Day." In light of this message, I'm getting upset. If this message is the case, I should only mourn the fallen soldiers on Memorial Day, and I should only celebrate those alive on Veterans' Day. I must stop everyone going to the memorials in DC on Veterans' Day as they are celebrating Memorial Day on Veterans' Day.... The two holidays are interchangeable for me!!! Why should I not thank those who died on Veterans' Day? Aren't they considered Veterans? Why would I commemorate the currently serving soldiers on Veterans' Day? If some of them have yet to see action? There's too may "if's" and "why's" and "why not's". I will celebrate my Memorial Day and Veterans' Day the way I see fit to honor my military men and women.

With that rant over with: To my living and currently serving military folks: Thank you for signing up to do what you do, for doing what you do, and for keeping my freedoms safe and sound and enjoyable. Just as I thank all the fallen soldiers and all the deceased veterans, I thank you for serving me... I mean... my country... ack!... I mean... Thank you for serving your country and the people of your country, which includes me. (^_^)

Adam Comer - Air Force
Matt Francis (middle) - Marines
Sarah Joyce - Navy
Joseph McGrew - Air Force
Justin Mozingo - Navy
So, in all retrospect and all grumbles aside: Celebrate what our past military men and women sacrificed to give us. Celebrate those who have fallen in combat in recent events. Celebrate those who nearly saw Death but fought against Him. Celebrate those who have pulled through to fight another day. Let us thank our military family, friends, and even strangers for the road they chose to live and the road they may rendezvous with Death on. To you - Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine, Navy, and yes, National Guard - Happy Memorial Day 2011.

Admirably yours,

Gabi Gutz

No comments:

Post a Comment