Friday, May 6, 2011

Can-Am Spyder or Sidecar Rig...

Since I've moved to California, I've seen this commercial a few too many times...



First impression: "Hey! Look babe! It's a backwards tricycle!" After that initial reaction, I studied the shape and the curves of the Can-Am Spyder. If you ignore the fact that it's a backwards tricycle, it looks alien. As if it wasn't truly created on Planet Earth. I mean, let's take a closer look at the Can-Am Spyder:
The triangular shape (Y-shape is what Can-Am is calling it) is unique. Compared to the known and accepted tricycle (1 front, 2 rear formation), the Can-Am Spyder looks more sporty and actually comfortable to lean forward on. I see the known tricycle as a cruiser tri-wheel motorcycle, while this - well - I see as an attempt to make a crotch rocket into a tri-wheel motorcycle. My more imaginative/creative side blurted out "STAR WARS!" Yes, I said it. Don't believe me? Check it out:
This is the Manadalorian Speeder from Star Wars Clone Wars. I don't care if Clone Wars doesn't count as part of the Star Wars franchise or not. The Cam-Am Spyder reminded me of this Speeder! Still does! The curves of the Spyder reminded me of another movie bike too, though the movie bike doesn't have 3 wheels. Wanna see the curves? Compare the side views of the Can-Am Spyder and the Tron bike!

(1) the rider of both vehicles are leaning forward - the Tron rider, of course, is leaning more extreme than the Spyder rider.




(2) both vehicles are actually more frontal heavy than a regular motorcycle and usual tricycle.

As much as I do think the Can-Am Spyder would be nice ride for someone who has difficulty riding a normal motorcycle, I must admit that I just don't see myself riding it. I'm still partial to the sidecar rig. I'm an old school type. My adoration for motorcycles started with my grandfather, then my dad and mom, but my attraction to the sidecar rig started with a movie. You know which movie I'm talking about! Please tell me you know what movie I'm talking about! 

I fell in love with the sidecar rig thanks to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Yes, the rig that Ford and Connery rode to get away from the Nazis. Why the sidecar rig? With a sidecar rig, you can fit three people plus luggage. Also, I'm only 4'10", and I can't fully lift and bear the weight of a 600+cc cruiser, nor can I reach the ground (even on tiptoe) on a 600+cc bike of any form. As much as I enjoy a 250cc, I'd love to get a bit more umph and git'go that a 600+cc has. For me, a sidecar rig would give me the support (the third wheel) to ride a bigger cc bike and even carry a load more than a regular 2 wheeler.

Would I be willing to try out a Can-Am Spyder? Heck ya! I'd love to take one out on a spin around Central Coast, California! I - in the end - would love to get my hands on a sidecar rig to call my own. Besides, there's only so much you can customize on a Can-Am Spyder, right? There's different styles of sidecar rigs and various customizations that can be done on one. I'd rather have a simple rig with a lot of room in the sidecar.

So, in the choice between Spyder or Sidecar, I'm still the Sidecar girl. I know I want 3 wheels (oh bite me! I can't reach the damn ground!), but I don't want a ready made tricycle! I want a regular motorcycle with an extra wheel on the side.

My parents and their sidecar rigs



Rig that I'd love to have (with a different bike)

another rig I'd love to have


No comments:

Post a Comment